Rajeshwar Upadhyaya, Editor-in-Chief, The Leadership Review

Rajeshwar Upadhyaya, Editor-in-Chief, The Leadership Review

January 8, 2016

Before 1830 India’s share in the global GDP was 23 percent! And now…

67% of India has less than two hours of electricity per day. 44% of the children below the age of five years suffer from malnutrition and are underweight compared to 25% of Sub-Saharan Africa! 60% of India are agrarian-linked and generate 15% of the GDP. India has the third highest number of billionaires after USA and Russia.

 320 million children could go to school if the opportunity existed but the capacity of the universities put together is 20 million! Although government statistics pins the number below the poverty line at 30%, those immediately above it are vulnerably in the vicinity of 72%.

 80% of all medical care is in the unregulated private sector and in the words of Amartya Sen …on the one end there is quackery and on the other crookery…with medical associations lobbying hard resisting regulations.

 Ghost schools abound…gender inequality is at nightmarish proportions. 67% of women in India are anaemic. 33% are ‘thin’ that is do not have a healthy BMI and are at steep risk in child-birth.

 India spends 6% of its GDP on health compared to 25% of Brazil.

93% of India is in the informal and disorganised sector leaving taxable formal sector at 7%! Sure India has grown in the last two decades. An array of vocabulary in macroeconomic literature describe this growth — ‘jobless growth’; ‘ruthless growth’; voiceless growth’; ‘futureless growth’.

From under the debris of statistics steeped in despair, The Leadership Review, brings stories of hope; of triumph. Of individuals who will against odds, persist; be tall; show courage and audacity. Not give up. This issue is a collection of the best leadership stories from our previous 12 issues.

The illustrations are numerous, the message one. Be rooted where you are. Be your untiring best. Don’t change the world. Don’t dent the universe. Make a contribution. As you are, where you are.  Now itself make a contribution. Your best contribution. Reduce the gap between saying and doing. Do more. Do better. Do just now.

(A significant part of this editorial borrows from the research of Professor Krishna Kumar, ISB.)